ABORIGINAL VISITORS SCHEME (AVS)
CARING FOR OUR COMMUNITY
AVS Scheme is an AFTER HOUR care & support service available from 5:00 pm until 9:00 am and available all day on weekends & public holidays.
The AVS service is provided to assist Aboriginal clients who might be feeling anxious or stressed about being arrested. If the client does not require legal assistance then the Police, at the request of the client, will call an Aboriginal Visitor, the client can speak to the Visitor by phone or may request that the Visitor attend in person.
Either tell the arresting Police officer that you want an ALRM visitor to attend -or- call (08) 8113 3777 or Freecall 1800 643 222.
What Can AVS Do?
- Access and observe detainee’s comfort, need for medical attention, legal counselling and family support;
- Bridge communication with Police;
- Support Police with their duty of care responsibilities;
- Report any issues of concern, need for medical attention, welfare or other services to the attention of the Police;
- Liaise or/and contact local community agencies that can provide assistance to the detainee, if needed; and
- Organise ALRM Field Officer appointment, if legal advice is wanted.
NO LEGAL ADVICE CAN BE GIVEN
The Aboriginal Visitors Scheme (AVS) came about as a result of the recommendations of the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody handed down in 1996.
Aboriginal people make up only 2.3% of the Australian population, yet they accounted for around 18% of bereavements in custody between 1980 and 2007.
Sadly 379 Aboriginal people died while in police custody between 1980 and 2007. Between 2008 and 2012, a further 54 Aboriginal people passed away while incarcerated.
It is the wish of Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement to stop Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people being injured or passing away whilst in Police custody. The aim of the Aboriginal Visitors Scheme is to provide all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with comfort, care and support when arrested and detained in Police custody. AVS Visitors also assist Police in their duty of care across the state, in both Metropolitan and Regional areas.
Are you interested in becoming an AVS Visitor?